Resolved

Update by user Oct 05, 2018

Received monetary reimbursement

Update by user Oct 05, 2018

Update: I did receive a reimbursement check. I deposited it and assuming the check clears, this case is resolved.

Update by user Sep 23, 2018

Update: I received an email from Asurion Corporate Resolution Specialist, Leigh Ann Dennis, who told me that she would be overseeing the resolution of my claim herself. She emailed me a pre-paid UPS return shipping label.

I shipped it out immediately and the tracking number confirms that they received the phone on September 14, 2018.

They sent an automated message a week ago specifying that my refund check will be sent, but it is now approaching 10 days since they have received their defective phone and I still haven't received my refund. We will see if it arrives within the next few business days...

Update by user Sep 07, 2018

Edit: I meant to say: that if Asurion contracts out to Straight Talk for the iphones, then that's a business agreement between them and doesn't involve the customer. Consumers who purchase extended warranties through walmart deal specifically with Asurion--the warrantor doesn't transfer to Straight Talk as soon as the phone is replaced.

Nor does straight talk even provide warranties. The terms and conditions on their website state that all products and services are sold "as is" and that "Straight Talk makes no representations or warranties of any kind, either express or implied...." Which explains why, when I spoke to a Straight Talk supervisor, they told me to contact Apple, the manufacturer, because Straight Talk wasn't responsible for the replacement phone.

Original review posted by user Sep 07, 2018

I purchased an iphone through Walmart along with an extended warranty/protection plan, with Asurion as warrantor. The iphone's audio stopped working after only 7 months and Asurion sent me a refurbished phone replacement that was defective. Immediately after receiving the phone, I discovered that incoming callers couldn't hear me through the receiver unless I put the call on speaker phone.

Asurion representatives told me that they contract out to Straight Talk for their phones and Straight Talk likes to deal with the warranties and that Asurion is no longer involved. Wrong. The terms and conditions specifically state that "We may replace your product with a new, refurbished, remanufactured product of like kind and quality that performs to the factory specifications of the original product." It goes on to say that "we", "us" and "our" refer to the company obligated under this plan as referenced in the Obligor section." And the Obligor section of the terms states: "The company obligated under the Plan in all states except Florida is Asurion Service Plans, Inc."

The language is irrefutable. Asurion is responsible for providing a functioning replacement phone. Any contracts they personally have with Straight Talk for those phones is irrelevant and the consumer's problem. It's a contract between Asurion and Straight Talk, not Straight talk and Asurion. And no where in the contract does it claim that the warrantor transfers with a new phone replacement.

I have been forced to file a complaint with my local Attorney General's office, the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. I hope someone opens a class action lawsuit against these crooks, I would happily lend my specific circumstances to the case.

Either way, Asurion has failed to honor the terms outlined in the warranty contract--despite it being a legal binding contract between them and the consumer (me).

Don't waste your money. And if you already purchased a protection plan through them, demand a refund. Do not allow them to send you a garbage replacement.

Product or Service Mentioned: Asurion Walmart Product Care Plan Protection Plan.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Asurion Cons: Unlawful business practices, Worst customer service, Failure to honor warranty terms.

• asurion review