San Diego, California

I am extremely displeased and upset with the service Asurion provides mobile insurance customers. A few months ago, my iPhone 6 plus needed a replacement due to water damage. I filed a complaint, received my replacement phone, and returned my damaged one.

Now, a few months later, I'm experiencing extreme lag and loss of sensitivity on my replacement phone. I take the iPhone to the Apple store, where they inform me that there have been issues with the iPhone 6 and 6 plus's in regards to the screen's lack of sensitivity due to a hardware issue. The sales associate proceeded to tell me that if Apple were to encounter this issue, they would replace the iPhone with a brand new phone. This is a KNOWN issue that Apple acknowledges.

Unfortunately, the phone I was given as a replacement by Asurion was in fact refurbished. Because Asurion refurbishes phones as a third party, Apple deems refurbished phones as out of warranty.

I then go to AT&T, and explain my situation. They tell me that I have to contact Asurion, but I would have to pay an extra $150 for another replacement phone since the current one I possess is over the 30 day warranty.

As a customer, I would like to ask: Why does Asurion issue out replacements with known issues, issues that even Apple acknowledges? I refuse to pay another $150 for a replacement, when I have carefully taken care of the replacement issued to me months ago. Why do I, as the consumer, have to suffer for Asurion's oversight in the quality of the phones given to their customers? Frankly, I think this is a scam, and outright illegal. I understand Asurion gives customers refurbished phones, but if I understand correctly, refurbished electronics are used goods that are "carefully inspected and tested." If this phone has a previously known issue that wasn't addressed, and sold to a customer, I believe that this is a blatant breech of contract.

Your customers are people with working jobs, people who depend on their phones to reach work, emergencies, and loved ones. Claiming to provide them with a "replacement" that is defective, is a giant slap to the face of the customers that blindly trust Asurion.

Product or Service Mentioned: Asurion Cell Phone Insurance.

Reason of review: Not as described/ advertised.

Comments